|Andrew Taylor's Notes
|Move to Andrew Taylor's Pictures|
Isherwoods / 2017 09 Brook Motors proof.pdf (PDF file in a new window)
At the top of Sherwood Street, Mrs Needham’s corner shop was the place for Beardsall’s dandelion & burdock. Open sacks of unwashed spuds gave it an earthy aroma. At the crossroads on Windermere Road there were three more shops: Edna Wilkinson’s (later Gillott’s) with its cigarette and gobstopper machines, the CWS Co-op with potato chute and square biscuit tins, and Ivy Elwood’s newspaper shop, which had the narrowest door in Barnsley and standing room for two.
Next door was Oldfield’s bakery. (He owned the pea and pie van in the Gas Nook). Originally Ambler’s warehouse, in 1959, the property became Isherwood’s radio, television and electronics service department, (also repairing audio tape recorders, and other items). The department employed over 20 service engineers, (including outside service engineers), three office staff and a further two were employed in the electronics factory - reconditioning black & white television tubes. An adjacent drive gave access to Rockingham House and Villa (owned by Oldfield) and at the top of Windermere stood Bleak House – the Krupops’ home and occasional target for pear scrumpers.
The upper half of Queen’s Road was home to the ‘TB Clinic’. Originally planned as a domestic science school, it started life around 1914 as a tuberculosis dispensary. By the sixties, the clinic was home to a physiotherapy unit. Brailsford’s was originally next door, making steel washers that boys discovered were a perfect fit for slot machines in the ‘electric’ market. It was taken over by Robertshaw, the upholsterer. Tommy Fisher (landlord of the Wine Shades) lived higher up, providing accommodation for acts appearing at the Theatre Royal, and Albert Hirst lived opposite, making black puddings and pie fillings in cauldrons at the back. Next door lived the Hunt family, who owned Merry & Bright (‘the toy factory’) on Carey Avenue, making novelties and Christmas decorations. Sam Heppinstall kept British and American military vehicles in a yard nearby, patrolled by an Alsatian dog with anger management problems. The remainder of Carey Avenue was a dirt road leading to the allotments, the canal, White Bear field and the ‘clay tips’ – the best place for sledging.
| Tribute Page |
Female Staff |
Space reserved for bookmark use !